They say Go where you feel most alive. The joy of hiking is when you successfully reach the summit. Many of us probably can never answer why we climb but Greg Child put it better “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.”
After publishing Elephant Hill Hiking Excursion‐ Mt Kenya & Kilimanjaro Pre‐hike a hike we will be hosting on 29th January 2020 for only Kshs 2950, a lot of our esteemed customers developed interest and also inquired a lot asked a lot on how to prepare for high altitude Climbs. Our Mountain team listened and has prepared you this note on how to prepare before hiking high altitude mountain.
When hiking at high altitude hills or mountains (above 2200M Above Sea Level, the air is thinner and has less oxygen, which makes it more difficult for you to breathe. In order to complete the hike in the best condition it is important to prepare for a high altitude climb ahead the time.
There are no specific factors that contribute to someone developing altitude sickness. It doesn’t discriminate according to age, sex or physical fitness. With this understanding, you should do what you can to minimize this risk and train to become as fit as you can in the time before the climb.
Please take time to read and Follow these preparation tips for a high altitude trek and you will enjoy it even more, giving you more time to concentrate on the breathtaking surroundings and sceneries.
- Take a lot of water daily
- Walk a lot to strengthen your muscles
- Run to improve cardiovascular fitness.
- Climb stairs to strengthen leg muscles and lungs.
- Use biking/Cycling as a way to improve your cardiovascular endurance. …
- Go swimming to improve cardiovascular endurance.
- Do not overwork yourself in every activity
- During the climb the body burns more carbohydrate than usual. Eat more starchy and sweet foods.
- During the climb drink more water to avoid dehydration
- During the hike the body will need more calories than normal, carry carbohydrate foods and snacks.
- During the hike Eat smaller but more frequent meals to avoid a stich
Do not Litter in the forest/ mountain. Keep all the trash in your back pack until you find a dustbin or trash it when you descend the mountain.
The mountains are calling and we must go
Happy New year, Happy Hiking